After looking for the perfect wig, you finally found it and made the big purchase! You found the right one for you, from the cap style to the hair type, from the length to the color, but now, you are left with another choice to make. Who do you tell you are wearing a hair system, if anyone? And how?
This is typically a complicated and challenging decision because so many factors exist. Some people like to flaunt their new wig with pride, while others may be more comfortable being discreet about it.
Our team has pulled together a concise breakdown below to help you determine who you should or should not share this information with. Whether it be your family, friends, coworkers, or date, it is ultimately your choice about who you feel comfortable disclosing your hair system to.
Reasons Why People Hide or Expose
Everyone has their own different reasons on why they decide to hide or expose that they are wearing a hair system. Below are a few things people think about when they are determining whether or not to disclose that they are wearing a hair system.
Why someone might hide that they are wearing a hair system:
● Some people feel less confident and not like themselves if they reveal that their hair isn't "real."
● Disclosing that you are wearing a hair system may give people an insight into your health and make them worry. If you suffer from hair loss caused by health issues, letting others know you are wearing a wig lets them know about your health status or may lead to an unwanted inquiry about it.
● Telling someone that you are wearing a hair system opens up the conversation for questions that may be uncomfortable, tiring, or upsetting.
● Some people may feel prejudice when they openly tell someone they are wearing a hair system.
While it's nothing to be ashamed of, it also may not be something you want to share with the world. And that is perfectly fine! If you don't want to tell, that's fine because it's simply no one else's business.
Reasons why people reveal they are wearing a hair system:
● When you share that you are wearing a hair system, it might feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. You don't feel like you're hiding something anymore.
● Letting people know you are wearing a hair system gives you the opportunity for versatility. This gives you the feeling of being able to wear a different hair system every day. It makes you feel comfortable to change your look every day if you want.
● Telling others may help your mental health by providing someone to listen to you vent your hair struggles and let out your frustrations. You might even receive some helpful advice!
● If you are around people that care about you, revealing you are wearing a wig may make you feel like you have support during your hair loss journey.
● Last but not least, wearing a hair system is NOTHING to be ashamed of!
If you feel comfortable sharing this information with others, go for it. It shouldn't be something you feel like you have to hide.
The Big Question: Who To Tell or Who Not to Tell
Family or Friends –While some people are comfortable telling their family and friends, not everyone decides to disclose this to them. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and has different relationships, so what's easy to discuss for some might be more difficult for others.
Ask yourself if you feel comfortable with them knowing. Have they always been supportive of your decisions? You may only choose to tell the family members or friends that are closest to you and with whom you feel the most comfortable. For example, if you want to be discreet about wearing a hair system, you will not want to tell your aunt, who likes to gossip.
Just because you are related or have known someone for years, you DO NOT have to tell them about your wig. It is 100% your decision, and it is important to make the right decision for you!
Coworkers –There is no reason to tell your coworkers that you wear a hair system if you don't feel comfortable. You should not feel pressured to disclose any information about your choice to wear a hair system in the workplace. If you feel supported and want to say to your coworkers, then that is up to you to let them know when you are ready.
There is a positive to telling them as it allows you to change up your hairstyle instantly without any questions. One day you might wear a short blonde hair system, and the next day you could wear a long, dark, curly hair system.
Significant others – Telling your partner or someone you are dating can be difficult. There are a lot of questions that you might be struggling to answer if you are in the dating scene. For example, is it deceptive to not share? Is it too soon? Should you wait to see where this goes before telling a date that you're wearing a hair system?
Long story short, there is no correct answer. Most people will understand your choice to wear a hair system. Although sharing that you are wearing a hair system will come up in conversation at some point, it is your decision when to disclose this information. Some people wait until they have gone on a few dates or potentially see this person in their life for a long time before they decide to share that they are wearing a wig.
If you encounter someone with a negative response, kick them to the curb! Love yourself before you put up with someone who doesn't see you for the beautiful person you are.
Lastly, revealing to someone you are wearing a wig can be a tough decision. We have provided some factors to help make your choice a little bit easier. Some people choose to hide that they are wearing a hair system, and others prefer to be more open. We want you to know that it all depends on what you feel comfortable with. It doesn't matter how your friends and family feel. If you are happy and feel more confident in your new wig, then that's all that matters!
At Your Hair Matters, we welcome you with open arms and are prepared to help you with all your hair system needs. Give us a call at 844-946-4247 or send us an email at email@example.com to start feeling more confident in your new wig!